Antigua Guatemala, a unique place, a jewel of urbanism with colonial architecture, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO for its history and culture. In the following fragment from INGUAT, he details a little of its history:
"It is located 45 kms from Guatemala City. It was the third capital established by the Spanish. It was named Santiago de los Caballeros de Guatemala City in 1566. After plagues, earthquakes and floods, the earthquake of 1773 ended by destroy it definitively. Despite having been a proscribed and abandoned city to create a new capital, gradually its inhabitants came back to life and today it is one of the greatest tourist attractions in Guatemala. "
Learn about the history of the Fuentes de la Sirenas
This fountain is considered the oldest in Santiago de Caballeros, it was designed and built in 1737 by Diego de Porres, as a curious fact, he was the father of Felipe José de Porres, who designed the Basilica of Esquipulas, both prominent architects of their time .
The fountain is made up of four mermaids, there are several versions of the ideas of the monument, the first is that Count Gomera, Captain General of Guatemala decided to build it for the memory of his four daughters, who when their children were born, did not want to breastfeed them for which ordered them to be tied to a log until their death.
The second version is that it is inspired by the Fountain of Neptune in the City of Bologna, Italy. The mermaids are riding.
The heads of the mermaids by time were destroyed, Rodolfo Galeotti Torres, was the sculptor commissioned in the reconstruction.
Arch of Santa Catalina
326 years ago the symbolic arch of Santa Catalina de Antigua Guatemala was built, it had the purpose of carrying out the passage of the cloister nuns of the Santa Catalina Virgen y Mártir Convent, the convent housed 105 nuns who remained cloistered.
According to the article in Prensa Libre, The story behind the Antigüeño icon: “Before starting the construction of the arch, in July 1693, the population disagreed with the work, because it would obstruct the pedestrian crossing. For that reason the government of that time agreed that the building, which was completed in 1694; should have the width of the street so as not to interrupt the locomotion of the inhabitants, the color with which
The arch was painted is derived from the religious belief of the colonial era. "Yellow stands out, which makes mention of the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar."
The watch was placed in the 1890s, was damaged during the 1976 earthquake and stopped working, but was repaired and started again in 1991. It was necessary to wind it every three days, it dates from the late 19th century and is French, brand Lamy Amp Lacroix.